Mouth jewelry is trendy in many cultures around the world. They can be appealing and considered art or a form of expression. Unfortunately, mouth jewelry can post a serious hazard to your oral health and can be seen as an invitation to poor oral health.
Our dentist, Dr. Milan Sata, cares about your oral health. That is why our team at Milan Sata DDS in Flint, Michigan, wants to share with you the reasons why mouth jewelry can be harmful to your oral health.
Here are some facts on mouth jewelry and how they can be dangerous for your smile:
– Risk of infections: Because your mouth is a moist place, it is also a breeding zone for bacteria that can cling to your mouth jewelry and cause many infections.
– Dental damage: Mouth jewelry is tough and can chip and crack your teeth easily causing severe damage to your teeth.
– Allergies: Many people suffer from allergic reactions to metals in their mouth because their mouth is a sensitive area in their body.
– Drooling: Tongue jewelry is known to increase saliva production which can cause excessive drooling.
– Choking: Because the mouth jewelry often has small parts, it becomes a choking hazard, especially while you sleep.
– Nerve damage: Mouth jewelry, tongue jewelry specifically, is dangerous because your tongue is full of nerves and if not applied correctly, you can damage the nerves in your tongue creating speech and even chewing problems.
As you can see, there are many reasons why mouth jewelry should be avoided. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you would like to schedule a professional cleaning, please call us today at 810-694-0200 to make an appointment. Our team is happy to help you!